CANAL BARGE COMPANY, INC. / ILLINOIS MARINE TOWING
CANAL BARGE NORTH – TERMINAL
TERMINAL-CHEMIST II-ENVRONMENTAL TESTING
I BASIC FUNCTION
Primary function is performing specified analytical and instrumental testing of water and wastewater, soil, solid waste and raw material samples. Must have the ability to evaluate, set-up and test new methods and procedures as required by new customers or products. Must perform required QA testing in accordance with the method requirements. Must be familiar with Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater 21th ED, SW 846 for the Analysis of Solid Waste, and relevant ASTM procedures. Must have extensive knowledge and familiarity with the IEPA and USEPA requirements for sampling, monitoring and testing of wastewater, groundwater, soils, and solid waste.
- Perform demanding and complicated methodologies for both environmental and raw material samples.
- Must be very knowledgeable of environmental sampling, testing, and reporting requirements for water, wastewater and solid waste analysis.
- Must be able to handle complex sample matrices and be able to determine how to overcome the matrix interferences.
- Must be capable of learning new techniques and procedures and instrumentation as required.
- Must be able to set-up and or develop new testing methods.
- Must understand the fundamentals and underlying chemistry for the methods that are used in the laboratory and know the standard matrix interferences for the procedure being performed. Must be able to interpret, evaluate, and validate the analytical results from the test method.
- Must understand the customer and product base with regard to deadlines, permit requirements and sample peculiarities.
- Must become cognizant of the environmental samples data history in order to determine if the result is within the normal parameters for the sample. If not within the normal parameters determine if the result is correct for the current sample.
- Must be very observant in evaluating unusual samples and sample matrices to determine how to handle difficult samples or to seek help when necessary to solve the problem at hand.
- Some prior experience in standard laboratory instrumental analysis such as AAS,ICP, GC,GC/MS, and HPLC
- Comply with CTC HSSE Policies and Procedures.
- Work to improve productivity of laboratory methodology and assist in preparing or amending written laboratory protocol and procedures.
- Perform off-site sampling, testing, and training as needed.
- Provide routine maintenance to equipment and instrumentation as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Laboratory Manager.
The Chemist II reports to the Laboratory Manager.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or a related science.
- Must have at least 10 - 15 years of actual environmental laboratory experience.
- Must be detail-oriented with prior experience in classical analytical, instrumental chemistry and environmental testing.
- Must have excellent organizational and time management skills and be able to work independently without constant supervision.
- Must be co-operative and work well with all other staff, be a willing team player.
- Prior experience in a multi-functioning industry or commercial laboratory preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in classical chemical testing such as gravimetric, titrimetric, spectrophotometric, and physical testing required.
- Knowledge of test development procedures, instrumentation and methods is required.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve.
- Must be able to multi-task in a very demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Must possess good communication skills and written skills have good customer service skills. Must be able to write and amend current or new laboratory procedures.
V PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Physical requirements of the job include standing for long periods of time, carrying and transferring products. Must be prepared to preform off-site sampling and testing under all types of weather conditions and over unusual terrains. May be required to carry sampling equipment over long distances.