Canal Barge Company Inc./Illinois Marine Towing
Part-Time Chemist II
Gas Chromatography (GC)/Mass Spectroscopy (MS) Environemental Chemist
The Chemist II position is a part-time, non-benefit eligible position based in Channahon, IL. Primary function is performing specified analytical and instrumental testing of water and wastewater, soil, solid waste and raw material samples. Must have the ability to evaluate, set-up and test new methods and procedures as required by new customers or products. Must perform required QA testing in accordance with the method requirements. Must be familiar with Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wasewater 21st edition, SW 846 for the Analysis of Solid Waste, and relevant ASTM procedures.
1. Must possess at a minimum a bachelor's degree in Chemistry or a related science.
2. Must have excellent organizational and time management skills and be able to work independently without constant supervision.
3. Must have a minimum of 20 years of chromatography testing experience.
4. Must be cooperative and work well with other staff; be a team player.
5. Prior experience in a multi-functioning industry or commercial laboratory preferred.
6. Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve.
7. Must be able to multitask in a very demanding and fast-paced environment.
8. Must be able to write and amend current or new laboratory procedures
Physical requirements of the job include standing for long periods of time, carrying and transferring products. May be required to perform off-site sampling and testing under all types of weather conditions and over unusual terrains. May be required to carry sampling equipment over long distances.
We are Canal Analytical & Environmental Services, the Laboratory Services Division of Canal Barge Company. We offer analytical testing for the petrochemical, petroleum, marine, biofuels, and agricultural industries in the Chicagoland area. Opportunity is knocking for you as we continue to grow our staff with dependable & driven people who are anxious to get involved and feel a sense of purpose with their work.