CANAL BARGE COMPANY, INC.
PORT ENGINEER – OPERATIONS AND TECHNICAL SERVICES
*This position is located in Sulphur, LA
I BASIC FUNCTION
Provide supervision as needed to vessel engineers.
II MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
The Port Engineer has the overriding authority to fully perform all the responsibilities and duties assigned to this position.
- Supervises mentors, evaluates and tracks onboard vessel engineer performance.
- Ensure that the Planned Maintenance Program is followed by on-board engineers.
- Review computerized maintenance program (SINEX) on a regular basis for assigned vessels so as to ensure hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, periodic preventative Planned Maintenance is completed as required and to ensure the computerized maintenance system is being utilized as intended.
- Compile ongoing vessel work lists for planning purposes and to assist in the budgeting process for each boat.
- Ensures safe and clean engine rooms and work areas.
- Ensure by monitoring and management that the non-mechanical systems (organizational systems) and mechanical systems of the vessel or vessels are organized or operated and maintained to comply within the requirements and constraints of the TMSA & USCG rules and regulations.
- Establishes, implements, and maintains task lists and inspection checklist
- Ensures that the discharged sewage and oily water are in accordance with all regulations
- Responsible for compilation, review and maintenance of systems and maintenance logs
- Assist in the preparation of shipyard specifications & specifications for other major work, engine overhauls etc. OR wholly prepare vessel shipyard specifications & specifications for other major work, engine overhauls etc.
- Manage vendor/shipyard performance and quality during all shipyard work, engine overhauls, and during major projects. Also provide timely cost reports and work schedules as needed for shipyard projects & major work.
- Ensures that all spending is approved, conscientious, careful and focused and that appropriate Purchase Requisitions are developed for all requirements
- Defers to, and act in support of “the vessel” in the event of a real or simulated emergency
- Engages in hands-on repairs and improvement projects as workload and criticality requires
- Conduct failure analysis and reports as assigned.
- Presents professional level of customer service and appearance to all – internal and external customers
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Provides interface with industry representatives such that all maintenance issues are rapidly resolved
- Complies with rules and regulations contained in the CBC operations manual and as directed by supervisor.
- Carry out the Business Philosophy, Code of Conduct, and mission of Canal Barge Company.
The Port Engineer reports directly to the Senior Port Engineer. The Port Engineer supervises Vessel Engineers.
- Minimum high school education with five to ten years of mechanical marine experience.
College degree in a related field may take the place of some experience requirements.
- Extensive hands on experience in all vessel mechanics and systems.
- Good personal supervision and evaluation abilities.
- Solid computer skills. Experience with preventive maintenance and project maintenance software helpful.