I BASIC FUNCTION
Primary function is performing specified analytical and instrumental testing of water and wastewater, soil, solid waste and raw material samples under the supervision of senior staff. Evaluate, set-up and test new methods and procedures as required by new customers or products. Must perform required QA testing in accordance with the method requirements.
1. Must be able to learn demanding analytical testing methods for environmental and raw material samples.
2. Must study the relevant standard test methods being used. This study should include the impact that known interferences can have on the samples that are tested and how to apply this knowledge to the different, often complex, matrices that are presented in the laboratory.
3. Must be able to learn to discern and recognize problems that can develop when testing diverse samples and be able to recognize when a supervisor needs to be asked to assist in solving the problem. Must make notations in logbooks when problems arise and how they are solved.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the scientific basis that govern the test methods being used.
5. Demonstrate the required quality control, such as the use of duplicates, spikes and standards when preforming a series of analysis.
6. Demonstrate the accuracy and precision of the methods being performed and understand the statistics required to evaluate accuracy and precision.
7. Complete the work assigned and assure that all of the samples requiring the assigned analysis are completed, documented in logbooks, and reported properly.
8. Comply with CTC HSSE Policies and Procedures.
9. Work to improve productivity of laboratory methodology and show continuing improvement in understanding the laboratory’s current and future needs.
10. Perform off-site sampling, testing, and training as needed.
11. Conduct routine maintenance to equipment and instrumentation as needed.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
The Chemist I reports Chief Chemist.
1. Must possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or a related science.
2. 1 to 3 years’ experience in a laboratory setting preferred, but entry level considered.
3. Some familiarity with Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater 21th Ed., SW 846 for the Analysis of Solid Waste, and relevant ASTM procedures is helpful. Must be capable of becoming knowledgeable and familiar with the IEPA and USEPA requirements for monitoring and testing of the in-house environmental samples.
4. Must be detail-oriented and be able to respond to changing and sometimes very difficult situations.
5. Must have excellent organizational and time management skills, and be able to work independently.
6. Must be able to work with all staff members and be a team player.
7. Ability to learn, troubleshoot and problem solve.
8. Must be able to multi-task in a very demanding and fast-paced environment.
Must possess good communication skills and written skills have good customer service skills.
V PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Physical requirements of the job include standing for long periods of time, carrying and transferring products. Must be prepared to preform off-site sampling and testing under all types of weather conditions and often difficult site locations. Must be able to lift between 10-50 lbs.
We are Canal Analytical & Environmental Services, the Laboratory Services Division of Canal Barge Company. We offer analytical testing for the petrochemical, petroleum, marine, biofuels, and agricultural industries in the Chicagoland area. Opportunity is knocking for you as we continue to grow our staff with dependable & driven people who are anxious to get involved and feel a sense of purpose with their work.