Illinois Marine Towing / Canal Terminal Company
Terminal Operator – Channahon Terminal
I. BASIC FUNCTION
Terminal Operators work at our terminal in Channahon, IL storing, transferring, and transloading liquid cargos including sulphur, asphalt, chemicals, and lube oil. Modes of storage and transport include storage tanks, barges, rail cars, and tank trucks, and work can be performed at multiple locations. Terminal Operators oversee preventive maintenance, conduct pre-transfer inspections, collect samples for lab analysis, monitor product levels and condition, and perform general housekeeping at the terminal.
II. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Storing, transferring, and trans loading liquid cargos including sulphur, asphalt, chemicals, and lube oil.
2. Modes of storage and transport include storage tanks, barges, rail cars, and tank trucks, and work can be performed at multiple locations.
3. Oversee preventive maintenance
4. Conduct pre-transfer inspections
5. Collect samples for lab analysis
6. Monitor product levels and condition
7. Perform general housekeeping at the terminal.
Additional responsibilities may include:
1. Provide maintenance for boiler room and offices.
2. Check steamlines, cargo lines, and tanks.
3. Provide general maintenance and cleanup of grounds and facility to include cutting grass/ plowing snow.
4. Provide security for facility.
1. Perform other duties as required and directed by management.
2. Carry out and the Business Philosophy, Code of Conduct, and Mission of Illinois Marine Towing and Canal Barge Company, Inc.
III. ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIP
The Terminal Operator reports to the Terminal Supervisor.
IV. EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
1. Minimum high school education or equivalent.
2. Five years minimum terminal or terminal-related experience desired, but not required.
3. Knowledge of HSSE desired, but not required.
Physical requirements of the job include climbing ladders and stairs, repetitive bending and squatting, climbing tanks of 40 feet height, and lifting equipment from 10-50 pounds. This position requires outdoor work under all weather conditions.
Qualified candidates must be safety-conscious and able to work in a physically demanding environment, and must have a thorough knowledge of hazardous/non-hazardous materials handling including health, safety and environmental aspects. All applicants must have favorable work references and valid driver's license, and must pass a pre-employment physical examination and drug screen.
Canal Terminal Company (CTC) is a division of Canal Barge Company, Inc. so you’ll experience the small company atmosphere with the benefits of a larger corporation. Our compensation package includes, outside of the competitive wage, full insurance benefits (medical, dental, vision & life, disability): 401(k) with company match, flexible spending accounts, paid holidays, and paid time off. Please visit us at www.canalbarge.com or www.imtowing.com for more information about our company.